Child and vulnerable adults protection policy
Bradford Abbas Parish Council is committed to the health, well being, and safety of all children using its facilities.
None of the activities of the Parish Council involves any Councillor coming into contact with children or vulnerable adults. However, all Councillors are asked to remember that it is their responsibility to ensure that:
- Their behaviour is appropriate at all times
- The observed the rules established for safety and security of young and vulnerable people
- They follow the procedures in the event of suspicion, disclosure, or allegation of abuse
- They recognise the position of trust in which they have been placed
- In the event of their being approached by a member of the public, young person, child, or vulnerable adult on any matter concerning a resident in, or person visiting the village, a Code of Behaviour is detailed below and it is essential that Councillors adhere to it. In addition, the Councillors are bound by the council Code of Conduct that is already in place.
Code of behaviour
- To treat everyone with dignity and respect
- To set an example you would wish to others to follow
- To treat all people equally
- To ensure more than one other adult is present at all times when dealing with young person or vulnerable adult
- To advise young people or vulnerable adult who they can talk to, if asked, about any concerns they may have. If the Councillor is to advise the relevant authority directly then the child or vulnerable adult must be made aware that the Councillor will not contact the offender but will notify the authority that can provide the necessary help and support.
- To make everyone aware of the Parish Council’s child and vulnerable adult protection procedures, as outlined in this policy
- To remember someone else might misinterpret your actions, no matter how well-intentioned
- To take any allegations or concerns of abuse seriously and refer them to the Parish Council
- To not trivialise any reports of abuse
- To not let allegations suspicions or concerns about abuse go unreported
Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults
Bradford Abbas Parish Council provides a play area with play equipment for young people of the parish. This is an area freely open to all members of the public.
All children and young people under 18 using these facilities remain the responsibility of their parents or guardians.
Bradford Abbas Parish Council carries out regular inspections of equipment to ensure the safety well-being of children using that facility. Each counsellor has an allocated week to the Council and submits a report to the Clark noting any deficiencies found in either the equipment or play areas.
In addition, an annual inspection of the entire facility is undertaken by an accredited company using qualified RP I I (Register of Play Inspection International) inspectors that are DBS checked.
Where appropriate the Council will ensure that all contractors undertaking work for the council have been Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checked.
Any concerns regarding the safety of children or vulnerable adults in the village should be reported immediately to:
- The relevant authority. More information can be found at the Dorset Safeguarding Children Board website.
- Or if applicable to the Clerk or Chairman of the Parish Council. Contact details are on the Parish Council notice board at the entrance to the Parish Church, or using the Contact form on the Parish Council website.
If the Clerk or Chairman are not available please contact any member of the Parish Council.
See the attached PDF document that is signed by the Chairman Bradford Abbas Parish Council.