Edition 561 September 2023
Printed courtesy of Mrs Annette Haynes as a service to the community
Please email your entries for the October 2023 issue to: ThePennant@mail.com by 21st September 2023
St. Mary’s Community Trust
Saturday 9th September 3pm to 9pm - The Church That Rocks 2
The outdoor music event of the year! Come and enjoy our end of summer party in the village playing field (main entrance in Westbury – just north of the school). We have a tea tent (run by the W.I.), a BBQ, a bar and some brilliant musical acts: The Stour Valley Stompers, Connor Smith and Total Madness.
Bring a picnic if you wish and your camping chairs. Please DO NOT bring bottles or anything made of glass into the field. Well-behaved dogs on leads are welcome (please make sure to clean up after them). Since we do not charge for entrance to these events, we ask that you please buy all your drinks from our bar. Please note, payments at the bar will be by voucher only (you can buy vouchers with cash or card at the pay station).
There will be a 50/50 raffle with a single big money cash prize – possibly hundreds of pounds.
Saturday 7th October 9am to 12 noon – The Big Harvest Breakfast. in the church
Friday 8th December – Wreath-making evening in the Village Hall, with Prosecco and puddings.
Sunday 24th December 5:30pm – Outdoor Carol Service in front of the church.
See you soon.
Jo, Alan, Rob, Ruth, Trevor and Gary
The ST MARY’S COMMUNITY TRUST team
Bradford Abbas History Society
Our September meetings on either the 26th September Tuesday afternoon at 2.30 pm or 28th September Thursday evening at 7.30 pm will be in the Village Hall with a fascinating presentation by Ted Udall on “YEOVIL MEMORY JOGGER” with photographs and short films of Yeovil from the 1960s/70s.
Bradford Abbas Women’s Institute
The September Women's Institute get together is on Tuesday 19th at 7.30pm in the village hall. This month it’s all about Communifit.
Their hugely popular chair-based exercise programme Sit and Strengthen is being delivered all across Somerset and Dorset. The main objective of this session is to improve functional independence and fall prevention.
Everyone is welcome to come and join in.
Live Music events at Mill Farm
- Friday 8th September: Dan Whitehouse. Dan will be playing songs from his latest album, Reflections on the Glass Age, and selections from his back catalogue of six solo albums. “Dan has an outstanding singing voice, possesses a unique artistic vision and displays songwriting excellence” Chris Difford. “Subtle and delicate melodies” The Sunday Times. “Nothing short of beautiful” RnR Magazine. Doors and Guitar Bar from 6pm, gig starts 8pm.
- Thursday 21st September: The Wanderbird. Jason D. Thompson, aka The Wanderbird, is an outstanding performer from the USA whose songs draw from a deep well of blues, gospel, country and American folk songwriting traditions. “It’s hard to forget Jay’s voice. A mix of guttural and commanding sincerity. Fiery, warm, pained, powerful, gritty and embracing” Star News, N.C. Doors and Guitar Bar from 6pm, gig starts at 8pm. Tickets £12 plus booking fee.
Tickets and further information for both events: millfarmmusic.com/events.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 01935 414778.
Please buy ahead to guarantee your space. All tickets are seated and on a first come first serve basis.
Bradford Abbas Petanque Group
It would be lovely to see more of you having a go at Petanque. It is a great game for all skill levels and gentle exercise.
All Welcome Sunday is on 24th September at 2.30pm.
Regular groups are on Tuesdays 2.00pm and Wednesday 11.00am.
If it’s raining we play Skittles. All good fun and everyone is very welcome.
Pub and Piste is on Saturday 9th at the Stapleton Arms, Buckhorn Weston.
Looking forward to see you all.
For more information ring Zoe on 07743277656
A huge thank you to everyone who's supported the pop-up monthly market since we started back in February. We generally have about 4 to 8 stalls, including local meat, jams, chutneys and honey, cards and gifts, and cakes.
The next dates are:
16 September, 21 October, 18 November, 16 December
We run from 11am until 1 pm, in the village hall. Why not have a coffee and a natter in the church first?
If you'd like to have a stall or have any questions, please contact me on 07805605887.
Mixed Ability Yoga
Saturday morning yoga at Bradford Abbas Village Hall 9.15am - 10.15am. So come along and join us! These are friendly and fun classes, suitable for most. Start your weekend with movement and relaxation. £8.50 per session.
For more information email email@example.com, message on Facebook @emmarileyyoga or call/text 07884246550.
Monday Night Bingo
Every Monday at 6.45 pm with eyes down at 7.15pm at Bradford Abbas Sports and Social Club. Everyone 18 and over are welcome to our weekly light-hearted evening which also includes a small draw a chance to win the SNOW BALL and of course a laugh and chat, we finish just before 9.00 pm.
Bradford Abbas Camera Club
- Tuesday 12 September: AGM plus members summer Images for discussion
- Tuesday 26 September: Viewing of SBACC photos for the Bradford Abbas Shield. We will be selecting 5 prints and 5 digital images.
We meet on the second and fourth Tuesday in the month at the village hall starting at 7.30, running from September to next May 2024. Come along and see what we do, all are welcome.
Bradford Abbas and Clifton Maybank Village Hall
In order to book the village hall please go to the Parish Council website (https://bradford-abbas.uk/hall) to see if the hall is available and how to book, alternatively please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring the Booking Secretary (Tricia Chapman) on 01935 602279. Please note the new telephone number.
The Rose and Crown, Bradford Abbas
- Monday CLOSED;
- Tuesday 5 - Close (Drinks Only)
- Wednesday 12-3 & 5-close (Drinks), 12-2 & 6-9 (Food)
- Thursday 12-3 & 5-close (Drinks), 12-2 & 6-9 (Food)
- Friday 12 - close (Drinks), 12-2 & 6-9 (Food)
- Saturday 12 - close (Drinks), 12-2 & 6-9 (Food)
- Sunday 12 - 6 (Drinks), 12-4 (Food)
Yeovil Railway Centre at Yeovil Junction
- Sunday 3rd September: Steam Train Day with our Peckett 0-4-0 Pectin giving train rides. Train rides start at 11am and run every 20 minutes, with a lunch break for Pectin and crew. There will be regular appearances of Marshall (Paw Patrol)
- Sunday 10th September: Model Railway Swapmeet 10.30am to 2.30pm. Buy, sell or swap your model railway stuff. Refreshments available. and our shop on platform 3 will be open.
- Sunday 17th September: Steam Train Day with Pectin plus Garwynns Reptiles and Bugs will be holding interactive sessions with visitors, your chance to hold a snake or have a python necklace! (they won’t eat you as they have been fed beforehand and are full and sleepy)
For further details about Train Days and charges see our website yeovilrailway.freeservers.com or our Facebook page.
The Friendship Club
Our next meeting is on the Tuesday 5th September at 2.00 pm at Bradford Abbas Sports and Social Club. There is Bingo, a small draw, Tea and Biscuits and a chance to have a chat and laugh with fellow villagers. New members will be warmly welcome.
St. Mary’s Church, Bradford Abbas
ST MARY’S CHURCHYARD
Over the summer, we have a had a number of volunteer sessions to help improve the look and feel of our churchyard and our thanks go out to everyone who has come along to help out. There is now a growing group of people coming together who would like to make it a more beautiful place to spend time and a better tribute to those who have their final resting place there, whilst allowing for diverse habitats where wild flowers and insects can thrive.
If you might be someone who could help in this endeavour with the odd hour or two of your time, or with a bit of cash to help pay others to do the work, or if you are simply interested in finding out about and having a say in the future of the churchyard, then please come along to an open meeting we are holding in September:
FRIENDS OF THE CHURCHYARD meeting, WEDNESDAY 20TH SEPTEMBER 2023 at 7:30PM in the VILLAGE HALL. You will find out about the current situation and the costs involved in looking after the churchyard and you will have the chance to air your opinions about the possible ways forward.
SERVICES IN SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER - EVERYBODY IS WELCOME
SUNDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER 10am Our Patronal Service, celebrating the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary (lay-led)
SUNDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER 10am Holy Communion (led by David Dunning)
SUNDAY 1ST OCTOBER 10am Morning Service (lay-led)
SUNDAY 8TH OCTOBER 10am Harvest Service (led by Tony Gilbert)
SUNDAY 15TH OCTOBER 10am Holy Communion (led by David Dunning)
On weekends when we are without a service in Bradford Abbas, we encourage villagers to join a service at Thornford or Beer Hackett. Details are posted on the notice boards outside the church. Through the summer, there have been a number of Taizé Services in Yetminster church. The last of these will be on 17th September, starting at 6pm.