Minutes for Ordinary Parish Council Meeting on Tuesday, 8 January 2019

Document status

Present:  Cllrs L Bennett (Vice Chair), P Clark, D Hayward (Chair), I Houston, T Hunt and S Longdon.

In attendance:  P Chapman (Clerk) and County Cllr M Penfold.

 

  1. Apologies for Absence
    Cllr Diane Coffin and District Cllr Margaret Lawrence
     
  2. Declaration of Interests
    None.
     
  3. Minutes of the Last Meeting
    The minutes were accepted by the Councillors and signed by the Chairman, Cllr D Hayward, as a true record of the meeting. 
     
  4. West Dorset District Council Applications
    1. Planning Applications
      The following applications were decided after the November meeting via email:
      WD/D/18/002661 Peel Centre Retail Park, Babylon Hill, Yeovil. Display totem pole advertising signs and removal of 2 existing signs.  The Councillors unanimously agreed to comment rather than support the application.  The comments noted the increase in size/height of the new sign that may cause a distraction to drivers due to the proximity to the roundabout.

      WD/D/18/002654  Lanterns, North Street, Bradford Abbas.  Erection of car port.   The Parish Council supported this application.
       
    2. West Dorset District Council Planning Decisions
      WD/D/18/002654 Lanterns, North Street, Bradford Abbas. Approved
      WD/D/17/002987 Yeovil Golf Club, Sherborne Road, Bradford Abbas, Sherborne.  Variation of conditions 2 (Approved Plans and Details) and 4 (Duration of Permission) of WD/D/14/002835 - Tipping of soils to allow re-shaping of area adjacent to 9th & 18th green at Yeovil Golf Course. Approved
       
    3. Telephone box on Churchwell Street
      Nothing to report. Cllr D Hayward will send in photos to support the case to have the telephone box repainted by BT.  Action:  Cllr D Hayward
       
  5. Village Shop
    Cllr D Hayward reported the shop could possibly close in Spring 2019, if trading does not pick up in the new year.  The Councillors were saddened to hear, at this time, the application for the post office service in the shop was not successful. **
     
  6. County Councillor, District Councillor and Officer Reports
    No District Councillors were in attendance.

    Footpaths:  Cllr S Longdon reported the a few planks over the pedestrian bridge off of Mill Lane are rotted. He has a photo of the bridge and will contact DCC to make the necessary repairs.  Cllr D Hayward stated he has received complaints concerning the dog fouling left on the pavements and in the verges. The Clerk will put a notice in the Pennant.  Action:  Clerk

    Village Hall:  Cllr T Hunt noted a meeting will be held next week. New chairs were ordered and a new security light is in/ is now working.

    County Cllr M Penfold had not received any comments or complaints concerning fly tipping, potholes or any other highways issues.  The Clerk noted she had not heard from Mr Paul Thatcher concerning additional 3 2 1 slow signs on Bradford Road and will follow-up on this. Action:  Clerk

    Cllr T Hunt discussed the proposed £2 police precept tax rise consultation. The Consultation Roadshow is on Friday in Sherborne. The Clerk noted she was not made aware of the consultation in time to put anything in the Pennant. The Clerk received the email 10 days prior to the local roadshow.
     
  7. Affordable Housing
    Nothing to report from the landowner at the time of the meeting.  Cllr D Hayward will set up a meeting with the Winchester Estates Bursar concerning the allotments and the two  fields off Grants Hill that were not sold.  Action:  Cllr D Hayward
     
  8. Allotments
    Cllr L Bennett noted the BAHAA are waiting for the Parish Council’s Meeting with the Bursar of Winchester Estates for an agreement on terms for the field before holding their AGM.
     
  9. War Memorial
    As agreed by the Councillors the invoice for Mr Bide of £630 was paid in December.  Cllr D Hayward added a note that was sent with the payment  requesting he tests an area removing the mortar to ensure it does not damage the tiles.

    Cllr D Hayward spoke to a member of the Bradford Abbas St Mary’s Week Charitable Trust and they would like to donate £400 to add the names missing off the war memorial plaque.  The names have been researched thoroughly.
     
  10. Matters Arising
    1. Village Plan
      Nothing to report, no interest from residents noted online. The item will be mentioned again at the Annual Parish Meeting in April.
       
    2. Website
      Cllr I Houston reported the village hall webpage is available using the google calendar the booking secretary keeps updated.  The booking forms and terms of hire are also available.

      Cllr I Houston  suggested  he could invite people to subscribe to the Parish Council website in order for residents to be made aware of news items on the website.  They will be able to unsubscribe at any time.  It was agreed to move forward with the idea. Action:  Cllr I Houston

      The Clerk noted there was an issue printing the agenda with reference to extra description of the village hall at the top of the agenda. Cllr I Houston will fix the problem asap.  Action:  Cllr I Houston
       
  11. Highways
    1. Speed Limit along Underdown / Bradford Road
      Discussed earlier in the meeting.
       
    2. Estimated Cost to Maintain the Drains
      Prior to the meeting the Clerk circulated the three estimated costs ranging from £676.75 including disposal of waste to £850.00 that does not include disposal.  Dorset County Council’s (DCC) estimate was the least expensive.  Mr A Frost (DCC) informed the Clerk the lead time at the moment is four weeks.  It was resolved to move forward with DCC’s estimate and schedule a meeting in order to prioritise the drains that need clearing.  Action: Clerk

      In the meantime the Clerk will report the blocked drain halfway up Bakehouse Lane asap. Action: Clerk
       
    3. Apply for official street name concerning Grants Hill
      It was suggested at the last meeting to avoid further confusion to officially name the road between Church Road and Smith’s Bridge. DCC refers to it as Underdown or Underdown Hollow and that causes confusion.  After a lengthy discussion it was resolved at the T junction outside The Old Rectory on Church Road if you turn left toward Sherborne the road is named Grants Hill and the Parish Council will apply to have the section of the road, if you turn right from Church Road, named Thornford Road.   Action:  Clerk
       
    4. Any other highways issues
      The Clerk forwarded an email noting the road outside The Old Rectory toward Thornford/Smiths Bridge will be closed ideally from 9am to 4pm in order to allow the Gryphon School buses access in the morning and evenings.  The Primary School meals transport(only) will be allowed access during the day.

      The Clerk received an email from the resident of The Old Rectory, Church Road stating the issues he has with cars parking along the outside wall of his house that are hazardous blocking the flow of traffic along Church Road.  The Clerk will look into the issue but in the past has not had any positive feedback from the County Council.  She will keep an eye on it to see if the problem increases with the road closure and in the meantime take advice from the PCSO.  Action:  Clerk
       
  12. Playing Fields
    1. Inspection Report from Volunteers
      Cllr L Bennett noted the tables from the Playing Fields were moved and possibly dangerous as one was leaning perpendicular against the other. The Clerk will move the tables back.  Action:  Clerk

      Cllr D Hayward suggested stabilizing the tables with a plinth or other methods. It was decided to wait until the park is used by parents of small children to see if the movement of the tables ceases.

      Cllr D Hayward noted on his inspection report the zip wire ramp is slippery when wet but he has treated it with anti-fungal cleaner.   The Clerk will look into anti slip strips used for wooden decking.  Action: Clerk
       
    2. Equipment
      The seesaw was delivered and is now with Mr Hopkins.  The Whizzer will be delivered next week, no specific date yet. The Playing Field Committee will meet to decide where the two pieces of equipment will be installed. The Clerk will contact Mr Hopkins once the Whizzer has been delivered.   Action:  Playing Field Committee

      Although it was suggested to have a sandpit in place of the soon-to-be removed seesaw it was resolved for health and safety reasons, as well as ongoing maintenance the area will be turfed.

      Cllr D Hayward has not replaced the fingerpost yet at the Park Lodge junction. He is considering the best way to replace to avoid it getting damaged again.
       
  13. Financial Accounts
    1. Grants and Donations
      Cllr D Hayward informed the Councillors the History Society was successful in their application for a large grant to cover the costs for the information board.  The History society is contributing £1,500 of their funds toward the information board and perhaps the Parish Council could lessen their financial burden as the board is promoting the amenities of the village.  The Clerk will add this to the next agenda.  Action:  Clerk
       
    2. Accounts for Payment
      The Clerk distributed the financial information attached at the end of the minutes for approval.  In addition to the requested payments the Clerk also added reimbursement for £43.08.  All payments were unanimously approved.
       
    3.  Budget
      The Clerk proposed a budget of £10,055 for the 2019/20 precept. It was overall decided to increase the budget to cover more than one day of drain and gully maintenance (if needed) and increase the donations to include more village organisations. The Councillors agreed to request a budget of £10,655 for 2019/20.
       
  14. Correspondences
    - Dorset Police & Crime Commissioner Roadshow concerning £2 precept rise
    - Royal Mail Group reply to the Clerk’s letter from July reiterating the Queen’s Road Postbox will not be reinstated.
    - An email from a resident concerned with the parking outside The Old Rectory
    - Central Area Committee’s next meeting is 27/2/19, Committee Room 1 County Hall Dorchester
    - Dorset Council’s new logo
     
  15. Items for the Pennant
    Dog fouling, Village Plan, £2 precept police rise (if within the consultation period)
     
  16. Any Other Information /  Date of the Next Meeting
    Cllr T Hunt noted the litter collecting along the A30 Babylon Hill. History Society Grant

    The next meeting will be held on 5th February 2019 in the Bradford Abbas Village Hall Committee Room at 7:30pm

    ** Please note: for an update to this item see the February 2019 Pennant