The government will pay for your premises to be connected to the exchange by fibre optic cable if enough residents commit to using the Bradford Abbas Ultrafast Community Project.
Who's it for?
The Bradford Abbas Ultrafast Community Project will be of substantial benefit to many residents of Bradford Abbas now and in the next few years, especially those who:
- are in a household with several members accessing the internet at the same time - for example streaming TV shows or keeping in touch with friends and family using Skype, FaceTime, or Zoom, etc.
- work from home
- run a business from their premises
- distance learning their uni or other courses
- stream Ultra HD video (UHD - 4k)
- use remote Health Diagnosis, Consultation, and Treatment.
Typical broadband uses and the bandwidth they require are listed on our web page here.
Costs vs benefits
Different bandwidths / connection speeds can be purchased once the Gigabit / FTTP fibre is installed.
Instead of a download connection speed of 20Mbps - which is typical at about £25 per month in Bradford Abbas - a Gigabit product, connecting at 145Mbps, would cost around £47 per month.
Sevenfold bandwidth example
So, Gigabit products can offer at least 7 x current bandwidth for 1.8 x the cost.
45-fold bandwidth example
Or a 900Mbps product at £60-£70 offers 45 x current bandwidth at 2.5 x to 2.75 x the cost
There are a few other typical costs / benefits listed on our web page here.
What you need to do
Go to the OpenReach Gigabit Voucher page to
- Verify your postcode is eligible for the funding
- Pledge your Gigabit Voucher to OpenReach
- Encourage your neighbours to do the same
If you pledge your voucher:
- You are not committed to upgrade if there are insufficient pledges from Bradford Abbas and the Gigabit scheme does not go ahead.
- You are expected to upgrade once Gigabit / FTTP is available. You'll be able to order broadband from any service provider operating in our area.
Adapted from the card OpenReach recently circulated
Government funding has been made available to help our community to be amongst those already enjoying the benefits of "full fibre". The Gigabit Voucher Scheme means that every eligible rural home can get a voucher worth £1,500 (and up to £3,500 for small businesses) to improve broadband in the local area.
OpenReach is one of the government's registered suppliers.