Minutes for Ordinary Parish Council Meeting on Tuesday, 3 April 2018

Document status

Present: Cllrs D Hayward (Chairman), L Bennett (Vice Chair), P Clark, D Coffin, I Houston, T Hunt and S Longdon.

In attendance:  Mrs P Chapman (Clerk), District Councillors M Lawrence.

  1. Apologies for Absence
    County Cllr M Penfold.
     
  2. Minutes of the Last Meeting
    The Clerk made one change to the draft minutes concerning the drains Cllr I Houston mentioned at the meeting. He noted a blocked drain on Bakehouse Lane, not North Street. The website and minutes printed for the meeting held 6th March 2018 reflected this change.  The minutes were approved by the Councillors and signed by the Chairman, Cllr D Hayward, as a true record of the meeting.  
     
  3. Declaration of Interest
    None.

    West Dorset District Council Applications
    1. Planning Application
      No new applications for consultation.
       
    2. West Dorset District Council Application Decision
      Nothing to report.
       
    3. Telephone Box on Churchwell Street
      Ongoing. Cllrs T Hunt and D Hayward are investigating the procedure to list the telephone box on Churchwell Street with Historical England to protect it from possible removal.
       
    4. Village Shop post application status
      Cllr D Hayward was happy to announce the shop will reopen. The new proprietor will attend the public meeting to introduce himself.  He is eager to get the post office back in the shop.
       
  4. County Councillor, District Councillor and Officer Reports
    Tree:  Cllr L Bennett had nothing to report.  The residents at 5 Churchwell Street will apply for planning if any work is done to trees on the property in the future.

    Footpaths:  Cllr S Longdon reported they are wet but passable. The Clerk reported she contacted both Dorset County Council (DCC) and Balfour Beatty concerning the sections of the closed footpath between Bradford Abbas and Thornford.  DCC has not responded but Balfour Beatty informed her the work begins in Axminster and the work in Bradford Abbas will not begin for another month or more.  He stated to use reasonable sense, if a walker using for the footpath sees them working turn back.

    Village Hall:  Cllr T Hunt and Cllr D Hayward are organising an extraordinary meeting in order to move forward long term. An AGM will also be scheduled in the near future.
    District Cllr noted she has a report for the Annual Parish Meeting (at 8pm). The best kept village competition is in place for this year but most likely not run for next year.
    County Cllr was not present.
     
  5. War Memorial
    The Clerk wrote to Mr Bide last month to inform him the Parish Council is happy to proceed with estimate he provided for the repairs needed.  The Clerk requested all the work is completed by Sept 2018.This item is not needed on the next agenda.
     
  6. Dorset County Council Definitive Map Statement Modification Order 2017
    Nothing to report, ongoing. This item is not needed for the next agenda as both the Clerk and County Councillor reported in previous meetings the next step could take a few years.
     
  7.  Affordable Housing
    Cllr I Houston drafted a leaflet to seek the views of the residents concerning a small number of affordable housing within the village for Cllr D Hayward’s comments.  Action:  Cllr D Hayward
     
  8. Matters Arising / Action Taken
    1. Village Plan
      The Village Plan will be discussed at the Annual Parish Meeting at 8pm.
       
    2. Community Defibrillator
      The Clerk has not received the power supply. She will chase it up again.  Action:  Clerk
       
    3. Safe Cycle and Walking Route to Yeovil
      Nothing to report at this time.
       
  9. Report from the Wriggle Valley Transportation Group
    No meeting took place recently. Nothing new to report.  Cllr D Hayward reported a meeting may take place end of April or early May.
     
  10. Highways
    The parking at The Cross was discussed and the issue seems to be getting better and pedestrians and bicycles can pass easily now that both cars are not in front of the bollards. The Clerk has left a message for Paul Thatcher of DCC Highways to ask if he has any suggestions that may help the area from being obstructed.  She will try him again after her holiday.  Action: Clerk

    Mr N Dyke contacted the Clerk as the drain nearest to the Clubhouse is blocked.  The Clerk will add this to the list when speaking to Mr Thatcher, DCC. Action: Clerk

    The Cllrs noted a few potholes in the village for the Clerk to report.
     
  11. Playing Field Inspection
    1. Inspection reports from Volunteers
      Nothing to report from the inspections.

      Cllr D Hayward has applied to the WDDC Leisure Fund for a grant to replace the seesaw.  He noted the village hall can apply for new chairs for the August deadline now that he has the financial information for the village hall.
       
    2. Repairs Needed to the Equipment
      Mr Hopkins has completed refurbishing the benches and replaced the wood on the zip wire platform.  He noted the concrete plinth to secure the picnic tables would cost more than the tables themselves suggesting instead a large spike in the ground attached to the table.  He mentioned the tables from the club has never been stolen and it may not be necessary.  The Councillors resolved not to secure the tables.  The Clerk will organise purchasing the tables and contact Mr Hopkins.  Action:  Clerk
       
  12. Financial Accounts
    1. Grants & Donation
      None received.
       
    2. Accounts for Payment
      The Clerk request approval for two payments:
      £   209.34  – Clerk’s wage month 12
      £   380.00  – M Hopkins for the benches and zipwire platform
       
  13. Correspondences
    - Dorset County Council Highways newsletter
    - Freedom of Information request concerning the bollard on Churchwell street under the railway.  The Clerk has responded.
    - Dorset Road Safe launches new road safety website
    - WDDC Survey concerning the devolution of assets and services. It was concluded the Clerk will respond stating the parish council would not like to take on any more responsibilities.
     
  14. Items for the Pennant
    - thank the members of the public attending the Annual Meeting
    - how to report potholes, etc
    - welcome to the new shop owners
     
  15. Any other Information / Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 1st May 2018
    The next agenda will include the following items; Changes to the Date Protection Act, new planning procedures, end of year account.  The date of the next meeting is Tuesday 1st May 7:30pm Bradford Abbas Village Hall Committee Room.