Minutes for Ordinary Parish Council Meeting on Tuesday, 6 November 2018

Document status

Present:  Cllrs L Bennett (Vice Chair), P Clark, D Coffin, D Hayward (Chair)  I Houston, T Hunt and S Longdon.

In attendance:  P Chapman (Clerk) and 1 Member of the public

 

  1. Apologies for Absence
    County Cllr M Penfold, District Cllrs R Legg and M Lawrence.
     
  2. Declarations of Interests
    Cllrs D Hayward, I Houston, P Clark and L Bennett declared an interest in the item 11.1 concerning the request for a donation from the Bradford Abbas History Society.  Cllr D Hayward suggested the 4 councillors sign a request for dispensation for the Clerk to consider in order to meet the quorum for discussion.  The Clerk accepted the request as the Councillors would not benefit financially from the requested donation.
     
  3. Minutes of the Last Meeting
    The minutes were accepted by the Councillors and signed by the Chairman, Cllr D Hayward, as a true record of the meeting.  
     
  4. Village Shop Update
    The owner of the shop was in attendance to discuss the future of the village shop. In summary, for health reasons the owners are investigating selling the business within the next three to six months. Unfortunately, there is a conflict of the tenancy agreement’s interpretation between the current shop owners and landlord.  The shop owner is currently speaking to his solicitors concerning the issue.

    The Post Office approached the shop owners with the opportunity to have a counter service within the shop.  The counter scheme is commission based only, but he feels this will help raise the footfall in the shop.  The village will have a service at least 5 days a week rather than 2 afternoons Outreach Service as it stands in the village hall now provided by Cerne Abbas Post Office. He feels with more stock and the post office the shop is a viable business but at the moment it is not possible for them to dedicate any more hours into the shop/business.

    Cllr D Hayward thanked Mr Tucker for keeping the Parish Council updated.
     
  5. West Dorset District Council Applications
    1. Planning Applications
      WD/D/18/002341  5 Manor Close, Bradford Abbas. Erection of replacement garage.  The Councillors were happy to support the application.  Action: Clerk
       
    2. West Dorset District Council Planning Decisions
      The applications for Little Thatch, Mill Lane (WD/D/18/000471 & 472) were approved by WDDC.

      Cllr D Hayward noted the walnut tree at High Croft will be removed. WDDC had received representations against the provisional TRO they had placed on the tree a few months ago.  WDDC did not confirm the TRO on the basis of future damage the tree  could cause should it fall on its own due to high winds.
       
    3. Telephone box on Churchwell Street
      Cllr D Hayward reported he contacted BT and was informed the telephone box was no longer on a removal list, the line and light in the box are now working.  Cllr D Hayward noted to BT the poor state the door is in. BT will look at the door and repair it,  if they feel it is needed.  He will need to send photos before they commit to repainting the box.  Action:  Cllr D Hayward

      The Clerk noted she spoke to a resident that suggested if the Parish Council decides to purchase the telephone box they may wish to consider the electric pole next to it as well with a view to put a solar powered light in the box.  It was concluded to wait and see what BT is willing to fix before investigating the purchase of the box or pole.
       
  6. County Councillor, District Councillor and Officer Reports
    No County or District Councillors were in attendance.


    Trees:  Cllr L Bennett had nothing to report.

    Footpaths:  Cllr S Longdon noted they are all passable and fine at the moment. Cllr I Houston approached the gentleman who leases the adjacent field to Fannybrooks Lane ask if he would clear the trees and branches covering the footpath.  Cllr I Houston reported he is happy to do so. The Clerk mentioned Mrs Fullerton, Clerk to Stoford/Barwick, emailed concerning footpath complaints she received that were in Clifton Maybank.

    Mrs Fullerton also mentioned the possibility of Clifton Farm Solar Panel Park. Upon further investigation (www.cliftonfarmsolarpark.co) it does not appear to be in the fields nearest to Bradford Abbas.  The Clerk has requested to be kept informed from the Pegasus Group if an application were to be submitted with South Somerset District or Somerset County Council.

    Village Hall:  Cllr T Hunt reported the AGM was held on the 10 October and all the current roles and representation will continue for the next year.  The committee has a grant for chairs and possibly tables and hopes to move forward with more decorating.
     
  7. Affordable Housing
    Nothing to report.
     
  8. Allotments
    The Clerk received an email from the allotment society requesting confirmation the allotment field was not in the final sale of Wyke Farm. They also suggested perhaps Winchester College Estates would consider an agreement in writing for the allotment field.  Cllr D Hayward contacted Mr Chute, the Winchester College Estate Bursar, who confirmed it was not sold.  Mr Chute would be happy to meet with representatives of the Parish Council and allotment society to discuss an agreement.  Cllr D Hayward will arrange the meeting.  Action:  Cllr D Hayward

    Cllr Hayward noted the two fields bordering Grants Hill near the allotments were not a part of the Wyke Farm sale.  The Winchester Estate Bursar asked if the Parish Council had any ideas how this field could be used.  Cllr D Hayward asked if the Councillors felt one of the fields would be suitable for affordable housing.  The councilors agreed it would be worth considering, Cllr D Hayward will discuss this with Mr. Chute when they meet concerning the allotment field agreement.  Action:  Cllr D Hayward
     
  9. Matters Arising / Actions Taken
    1. Village Plan
      Nothing to report, no new feedback received from residents.  Cllr T Hunt discussed the idea of an interactive map on the parish council website.
       
    2. Website
      Cllr I Houston asked the Councillors if it was a good idea to have a list of Bradford Abbas organisations and their contact details on the parish council website. All agreed it was a good idea.

      The Village Hall Booking Secretary is not using the parish council website calendar at this time. The calendar is not  up to date on the parish council website, she is using the bavh.org.uk gmail calendar.
       
  10. Highways
    1. Speed Limit along Underdown/Bradford Road
      The Clerk requested additional slow markings on the road in more areas along Bradford Road from Mr Thatcher.  No response received at the time of the meeting.
       
    2. Estimated Cost to Maintain the Drains 
      The Clerk forwarded two estimates for clearing drains in the village. One of the  estimates  may not include the disposal cost. The Clerk has emailed to query the estimate but has not heard back.  Both companies have estimated clearing drains for one day, the parish council will prioritise the drains to be cleared.  The estimates received are:
      £1250 + VAT (includes £500 estimated waste disposal)
      £890 + VAT (does not include disposal?) 

      The Clerk has not received an estimated cost from Dorset County Council. It was concluded to make a decision at the next meeting when the three requested estimates are submitted and all queries are answered. The Clerk will chase DCC.  Action:  Clerk
       
    3. Any other highways issues
      The Clerk noted the temporary closure Dr Middle has applied for in order to repair the stone wall that was damaged a few months ago.  She forwarded the consultation to the Primary School to make them aware of the closure.  The Clerk had contact from the Headteacher concerning objections to the length of time and school meal transport time and cost issues involved.  The Clerk advised the Headteacher to contact DCC Highways directly but her concerns (as requested) would be raised at the Parish Council Meeting.   Overall the feeling is the closure is a long period of time and does not indicate if the road will be open overnight and weekends that would ease the traffic chaos.  It was concluded the Clerk will email the concerns to DCC Highways and write to Dr Middle. Action: Clerk

      Cllr P Clark asked if it were possible to rename the road due to confusion. Both WDDC and DCC have at time referred to it as Underdown or Underdown Hollow.  Councillor Hayward pointed out that historically it is named Thornford Road and the section between Back Lane and the junction is Grant’s Hill.  Action:  Clerk
       
  11. Playing Field
    1. Inspection Reports from Volunteers
      It was noted the beginning stages of rot were noticed on the multiplay. Councillors should keep an an eye on it.  The seesaw handle screw was missing but replaced by Cllr I Houston.
       
    2. Equipment
      The Clerk and Chairman met with Wessex Ground Services to discuss the estimated cost for installation of a new seesaw and possible grassmats.  Mr Ian Hewitt suggested using the part of the old tyres as bumpers.  The estimate submitted is £1,128 (includes £188 of VAT).

      The Clerk received a text from Mr Hopkins with an estimated cost of £675.00 using a concrete base, but does not include grassmats or bumpers

      It was concluded to go with the £675 estimate and ask for grassmats and bumpers. Cllr D Hayward will contact Mr Hopkins to ask him not to accept the job unless he can guarantee the installation will be completed by the end of March 2019. If the deadline is not met the Parish Council will forfeit the grant from WDDC.   Action:  Cllr D Hayward

      Cllr D Hayward suggested installing the new seesaw to a level area within the playing fields, keeping close to the toddler equipment.  All agreed. Cllr D Hayward will pass this on to Mr Hopkins.

      Cllr D Hayward mentioned he painted the storage shed door in the playing fields although it should be replaced in the future.
       
  12. Financial Accounts
    1. Grants and Donations to include History Society Grant request
      Cllr D Hayward discussed the information board project and the other grants the History Society has applied for to cover the costs that could be up to £3,000.  They have been approved for a grant from WDDC for £303 but await to hear from the Heritage Lottery Fund.  The History Society is contributing £1,500 of their funds toward the project. Councillors agreed to meet the shortfall of up to £1,000. The amount will not be known until the History Group’s grant applications are determined and could be zero.  The Clerk will write to the History Society.  Action:  Clerk
       
    2. Accounts for Payment
      Current Account:
      Account balance reported from the previous meeting                  £10,191.43
      Less approved payments from the previous meeting                        £507.29
      Balance as of 05/11/2018                                                                                £ 9,684.14

      Deposit Account
      Account balance reported from the previous meeting                  £10,863.22
      Interest                                                                                                   £0.43
      Balance as of 05/11/2018                                                                               £10,863.65
      Total in all accounts                                                                                        £20,547.79

      The following payments were approved:
      £209.34         Clerk's wage month 7
      £152.00         KM Dike Nurseries (invoice not received yet)
      £  70.00         DAPTC Clerks Seminar
      £431.34         Total payments for November

      The war memorial invoice has not been paid as work was not completed to the satisfaction of the Parish Council.  Cllr D Hayward spoke to Mr Bide and he has sent a letter stating he will address the issues discussed at no additional cost.  It was resolved to move forward with the offer to remove the mortar used for the roof tiles.  Action: Cllr D Hayward

      The Councillors discussed the work will not be completed by the Remembrance Day Service. The Clerk will write to the school to thank them for the pebbles to be collected and placed at the war memorial, a good idea for childrens’ involvement.   Action:  Clerk
       
    3. Budget
      The Clerk will prepare the budget and distribute it prior to the next meeting for discussion.  Approximately £1,000 will be added to cover the cost for clearing drains. This may push the precept just over £10,000.  Action:  Clerk

      Cllr T Hunt mentioned the war memorial was not on the agenda but he reported the names missing from the memorial plaque will be read out at the service.
       
    4. Correspondences
      - The Clerk received a letter from a resident noting disappointment in the slow progress of the Ledras property refurbishment. The Clerk will contact the owner.  Action:  Clerk
      - Cllr D Hayward noted the problems with the defibrillator last month, the problems are now sorted. The Clerk will contact South Western Ambulance to ask for an updated defibrillator.  Action:  Clerk
      - The Clerk received an email from a resident concerning the Queens Road Postbox. The Clerk has replied stating several attempts by the Parish Council and other members of the public have been unsuccessful. The Clerk will follow up with the Royal Mail as she has not received a reply from her letter in July.  Action: Clerk
      - Shaping Dorset Council Newsletter 2/11/18
      - Electoral Review of Dorset: Final Recommendations. The Clerk will put this up on the noticeboard. Action: Clerk
      - Dorset Community Action: Friday 7/12/18 A Conversation with the Shadow Council
       
  13. Items for the Pennant
    - The Clerk suggested reminding residents how to report potholes and fly tipping.
     
  14. Proposed Meeting dates for 2019
    The Clerk circulated the 2019 meetings but noted the May meeting may need to be changed due to the elections.
     
  15. Any other Information / Date of the Next Meeting
    Tuesday  8th January 7:30pm Bradford Abbas Village Hall. The war memorial will need to be added to the next agenda.