Present: Cllrs L Bennett, P Clark, D Coffin, I Houston (Vice Chair), S Longdon and J Thomas
In Attendance: T Chapman (Clerk), Country Cllr R Legg, S Hillier (New Clerk) and 7 members of the public
- Welcome and to receive apologies for absence
Cllr L Bennett welcomed the Councillors, members of the public and Sandra Hillier who will be taking on the position of Parish Clerk.
Apologies received and accepted from Cllr T Hunt.
- To receive declarations of interests
Cllr J Thomas, planning for her application P/HOU/2022/1765.
- To approve the minutes from the Ordinary Meeting held on 5th July 2022.
The minutes were approved by the Councillors in attendance and signed by the Chairperson, Cllr L Bennett, as a true record of the meeting. (Page 1 of the minutes is missing and will be signed after the meeting.)
Public period for comments and issues on the agenda (up to 15 minutes allocated for electors, residents in the parish or adjoining parishes to comment on any items to be discussed for decision.)
It was noted that the occupiers of The Old Post Office House, under Any Other Information, wished to answer any questions that the Parish Council or the public present had regarding their upcoming change of use application. They mentioned that the Parish Council did not add the item to the agenda as requested. Prior to the meeting a Dorset Council officer suggested that the applicants engage with the Parish Council and the public concerning their proposed application. They informed the meeting that the Parish Council missed the opportunity of their offer to provide a shipping container and join the shop working group in July 2021. A Parish Cllr stated at the time of the offer the shop working group was no longer meeting regularly, and has since disbanded. They stated the proposed application will request to change the area currently designated as retail to residential but this could be reversed within 3 days. The retail/shop area of the house will not be structurally altered.
Cllr R Legg expressed his concern a representative of Dorset Council suggested they engage with the Parish Council prior to formal submission of their application. The Councillors must be careful not to express a view that could then exclude them from any future debate or vote.
- To discuss Dorset Council planning applications and decisions
- P/FUL/2022/05306: Cowpool Farm, Cow Pool Farm Lane, Stoford. Retain roof over livestock loafing area. Comments open until 7/10/22. The Councillors did not raise any objections to this application.
- P/MPO/2022/03015: Brantano 3 Peel Centre Retail Park Babylon Hill Yeovil Modify S106 Agreement dated 2/10/1998 associated with planning permission no. 1/N/97/0289 to remove the restriction. Dorset Council had not made a decision at the time of the meeting.
- P/FUL/2022/03113: Mayflower Cottage, Yeovil Rd, Bradford Abbas DT9 4RA Change of use of land from agricultural to residential garden land & retain 2no. railway carriages & wooden bandstand/gazebo: Granted
- P/FUL/2022/03157: 3 Peel Centre Retail Park, Yeovil, Dorset BA21 5BT External alterations to the front elevation. Granted
- P/HOU/2022/1765: Tudor Cottage, Church Road, Bradford Abbas. Erection of free standing garden room and removal of soil and construction of retaining wall. This application was refused. The applicant is considering an appeal.
- P/HOU/2022/03597: 3 Cross Road, Bradford Abbas. Erection two storey & single extensions. Convert Loft. Erect extension to garage & install solar panels. Granted
The Clerk noted 2 applications were submitted after the agenda:
- P/HOU/2022/05888: 5 Emlet Westbury Bradford Abba Form 2 No. off road parking bays and erect fence. (Parking bays were approved under Planning Permission WD/D/19/000875) The Councillors did not have any objections.
- P/HOU/2022/05973: Ashe House North Street Bradford Abbas. Erect single storey extension. The Clerk noted the comments were due by 21/10/22 and requested the Cllrs let the Clerk know if they had any objections to this application. Action: ALL Cllrs/Clerk
- To receive officer reports
Village Hall: Cllr J Thomas noted the committee will meet tomorrow evening and on the agenda is updating the charity commission account details to comply with the Charities Act 2022 and the rise in fuel costs.
Footpaths: Cllr S Longdon noted the recent repairs to the Mill Lane footbridge and due to the recent rain the Mill Farm footpath is slippery.
- Superfast Broadband update
Cllr I Houston has kept the website updated with the latest news received. Openreach is in the final stages but there are delays for many areas in the village due to underground cables.
- Community Assets Update
The Clerk will now have time to move forward with this now that the Gollops Ground DMMO order has been accepted by Dorset Council. Action: Clerk (TC/SH)
- To receive an update from working groups
- Telephone box/ Library
Cllr J Thomas noted the puzzles are very popular and they are planning to have dedicated week for puzzles and beginning to plan Christmas decorations.
- Neighbourhood Plan Working Group (to include reviewing meeting notes)
Cllr J Thomas noted there has been monthly meetings since February 2022. The consultation for the NP’s boundary to include Bradford Abbas AND Clifton Maybank has completed and been accepted. The working group has submitted a funding grant application to Locality and should receive the outcome very soon. A public meeting is scheduled for the 3rd November at 7:30pm to define the objectives of the plan. The Cllrs were happy for the notes from the NP meetings to be published on the website.
Cllr R Legg asked if there was representation from Clifton Maybank and Compton Road. Cllr J Thomas noted 2 residents from Clifton Maybank joined the working group but no one from Compton Road came forward.
- Telephone box/ Library
- To receive updates concerning the DMMO applications (Gollops Ground & Unclassified Roads)
The Clerk noted earlier in the meeting the Gollops Ground footpath has been submitted and officially registered with Dorset Council (T725). She noted it took a lot longer than expected and the group is reviewing if the application could be prioritized.
Cllr S Longdon forwarded the document from S Bucks, an active member of the bridleway association, to the Clerk for the Parish Council to request that Dorset Council review the current classification of Fanny Brook’s Lane and add it to the definitive map route as a type of byway, restricted to all traffic, as it has mainly been used by the public for the purpose of a footpath.
S. Bucks also suggested the Parish Council should do the same for the route from the Peel Centre along the back of the golf course. Cllr S Longdon will go back to S Bucks and ask if she could draft a document for this area as well. Action: Cllr S Longdon
- Highway Issues
The Clerk noted she received a phone call concerning the placement of the give way sign at the junction of Grants Hill/ Underdown / Bradford Road. The sign is too close to the junction and could be dangerous. The Clerk will alert Dorset Highways. Action: Clerk (TC)
- Playing Field
- Inspection reports from volunteers
Nothing to report. The Clerk reported the Annual Inspection will take place in November.
- Litter in the playing field
The Councillors will continue to collect the litter when conducting their check as no volunteer has come forward. Action: Cllrs
- New Equipment Installation Update
The equipment has been installed and inspected.
The Clerk noted a letter was received from a resident requesting the Parish Council consider getting a new skate ramp as the current one is not adequate. The Councillors will consider this request but must has an idea what the cost will be. One of the Cllrs discussed this with the resident and he will come up with some suggestions. The Clerk will also respond to the letter. Action: Clerk (TC)
It was noted one of the trees from the playing field is overhanging one of the adjacent properties. The Clerk will contact Toomer Tree Services and K M Dike get an estimate to trim cut the tree and conduct a survey of all the trees. Action: Clerk (SH)
It was noted the E2R frame needs to be repainted. The Clerk will contact M Hopkins. Action: Clerk (TC)
- Inspection reports from volunteers
- Financial Accounts
- To consider any grants and/or donations
The St Mary’s Community Trust donated £1,500 to the playing field equipment and £700 toward the defibrillator fund.
- To review BHIB insurance and war memorial estimated costs
The Clerk forwarded 3 insurance quotes to the Councillors. It was resolved to move forward with a 3 year long term agreement for £554.49. This was renewed in early September.
The Clerk noted the war memorial is not covered under the insurance and there would need to be an inspection and estimated cost of replacement then the insurance company can provide a cost to cover the memorial.
It was resolved the Clerk should move forward and get and inspection/cost. Cllr R Legg kindly offered to contact the Sherborne Town Clerk for suggestions. Action: Clerk (SH)
It was noted a roof tile should be looked asap. The Clerk will contact M Hopkins take a look at it and see if this is something that he could repair keeping in mind it is listed. Action: Clerk (TC)
The Clerk noted she received an email from Mr A Fall confirming the volunteers who built the memorial seat for Mr J Gillham will maintain the bench.
- To consider any additional September & October payments
The proposed payments emailed prior to the meeting were approved (see the last page of the minutes). Cllr L Bennett noted S Hillier has signed the contract to take on the position of Clerk and will begin as of today. The Parish Council will need to pay for 2 clerks for a short period of time.
- To consider any grants and/or donations
- Correspondences received
- Cllr I Houston mentioned the email the Clerk forwarded with the possibility of free trees from ANOB. It was resolved not to take part in the scheme.
- The letter/email from the resident concerning the playing field skate ramp. (discussed earlier in the meeting)
Cllr R Legg informed the meeting that the judicial review has concluded and the primary school’s application for a MUGA granted by Dorset Council can now proceed. He is also following up on the East Farm application for Saxon Maybank N0 P/FUL/2021/04205
- Items for The Pennant
- Introduce new Clerk Action: Cllr L Bennett
- Thanks to all the residents completing the Gollops Ground footpath form E Action: Clerk (TC)
- Any other Information / Date of the Next Meeting
Ordinary Meeting held on 8th November 7pm in the St Mary’s School Hall
Financial Information for October 2022 Meeting
£ 4,946.94 Account balance reported at the July Meeting
£ .50 ERROR: Less 50p from July deposit (BAAHA) incorrectly reported
£ 434.88 Less July Proposed Payments
£ 988.00 Less agreed donations (Churchyard, Vhall & Life Ed)
£ 423.11 Less Goal Post Installation (I Boon & M Hopkins)
£ 325.76 Less KM Dike inv 1429 & 1456
£ 349.16 Less DAPTC subs
£ 230.00 Less Clerk's wage 5
£ 554.49 Less BHIB Parish Council Insurance
£ 8,012.50 Receipt Precept
£20,044.64 Account balance reported at the July Meeting
£ .18 Receipt July Interest
£ .66 Receipt August Interest
£ .85 Receipt September Interest
£ 2,200.00 Receipt St Mary's Community Trust donation
£31,899.87 Total in all accounts
£ 230.00 Parish Clerk's wage per month
£ 375.00 Savills land rental 25/2/22 - 28/9/22
£14,149.02 Wicksteed Galahad
£ 162.88 KM Dike inv 1482
£ 117.59 Clerk's expenses (website, stationery & sundries)
£ 9.99 NP Pennant leaflet (reimburse HF)