Present: Cllrs L Bennett (Chair), P Clark, D Coffin, I Houston (Vice Chair), T Hunt, S Longdon and J Thomas.
In Attendance: P Chapman (Clerk) and Councty Cllr R Legg (arrived 7:50pm)
- Welcome and to receive apologies for absence
- To receive declarations of interests
Cllr T Hunt declared an interest in his tree application WD/D/20/002795
- To approve the minutes from the October meeting
The minutes from the meeting held in October were approved by the Councillors in attendance and will be signed by the Chairperson, Cllr L Bennett, as a true record of the meeting.
- To discuss Dorset Council planning applications
The Clerk reported WD/D/20/002793 & WD/D/20/002795 tree applications were approved within 24 hours of the applications registering online. The Clerk will ask Cllr R Legg what exactly the registering date is and why there has not been enough time for members of the public to consider the application prior to decision. Action: Clerk
- To receive officer reports
Tree Officer: Nothing to report. Cllr D Coffin did not have any objections to the approved applications for the Grange or Ash Cottage. The Clerk has asked Highways to inspect trees in the hollow surrounding the road with a view to remove any branches higher above are coming down in winter storms.
Footpaths: Cllr S Longdon reported all the footpaths are all passable.
Village Hall: Cllr J Thomas has nothing to report. The Village Hall Chairman asked Cllr L Bennett if it were possible the Parish Council would consider contributing £11/ month toward the annual costs for broadband in the hall. In principle, the Councillors were happy to do so after it is budgeted in the next financial year. The Clerk suggested the Village Hall Management Committee writes to the Parish Council in order to request an annual donation. Cllr L Bennett will speak to the Village Hall Chairman with the outcome. Action: Cllr L Bennett
- To discuss local footpath issues
Cllr I Houston reported the rambler association noted that the East Farm footpath will be not be lost if a decision is not recorded by 2026 .
The Clerk will follow-up with Cllr R Legg concerning contacting the Inspector directly to chase the East Farm footpath proposed schedule. Action: Clerk
The Clerk has not had a chance to take photos of the Mill Farm Footpath and report needed repairs to DC. Action: Clerk
- To receive a telephone box working group update
Cllr J Thomas reported books are going into the telephone box library, shelves and hand santiser will be available. They would like a small bench, the school children are making a stained glass decoration and a Christmas tree will be sourced. It was resolved the opening will be 12th December at 12. Action: Cllrs J Thomas & S Longdon
Cllr L Bennett thanked the Cllrs and their working group for all they have done so quickly.
- Community Land Trust Update
Cllr T Hunt noted the documents for registration are complete. Shares will go live soon on the CLTs website, there will be a link from the Parish Council’s website.
(Cllr R Legg is in attendance) Cllr L Bennett discussed with Cllr R Legg if there was another way to accelerate the East Farm definitive footpath case. Cllr R Legg is not aware of one but will look into it.
The Clerk shared her concerns that the public are not given enough time to review tree applications, they are uploaded to the Dorset Council website and decided within 24 hours. Cllr R Legg believes the issue is due to the amalgamation of the planning website.
- To receive a War Memorial Update
- Missing names plaques
- D Hayward Memorial bench
The Clerk ordered the bench and should be delivered early December. Once it is delivered the Clerk will notify M Hopkins. Action: Clerk.
- Missing names plaques
- To receive a village plan update to include the NP
Cllrs L Bennett, T Hunt and I Houston (virtually) met to discuss the possibility of a neighbourhood plan. Cllr T Hunt kindly submitted notes from the discussion the Clerk has forwarded to Cllrs. The Clerk will forward to Cllr R Legg. Action: Clerk
Cllr T Hunt noted Dorset Council has grants available. Cllr I Houston is concerned the Parish Council maybe taking on too much and a separate group should be formed with Cllr T Hunt’s guidance. Cllr T Hunt would the initial group of 3 to 6 people to work together to present the idea to the village. Cllr I Houston will put something on the website and/or Pennant to gain interest. Action: Cllrs T Hunt & I Houston
- To discuss the website updates
Cllr I Houston reported LCN no longer provides website / server services. He has sourced a new company for £129.47 annually. The Playing Field Checklist has been updated on the website.
- To discuss the Government's Ultrafast Broadband Scheme
Cllr I Houston reported 72% of the pledge target has been achieved as of today. Cllr I Houston noted it may need a final push. Discussed possibility of another flyer printed by the Clerk. Cllr I Houston will look into if the Peel Centre area business are included in the numbers. Action: Cllr I Houston/ Clerk
Cllr R Legg reported the recent Dorset Council car park issues is going to Committee. It is felt the process was not transparent. It will now go back to members to consult locally. (Cllr R Legg left the meeting)
- To discuss the Climate Change Emergency Working Group
(Clerk had technical issues during this discussion) Cllr I Houston will discuss with Cllr J Thomas how to move forward with the group of people suggested with the ideas gathered. Action: Cllrs J Thomas & I Houston
- To discuss any highways issues
The Clerk put forward the request from a member of the public to erect a traffic mirror at the junction of Bishops Lane and Westbury. There is a blind spot when making a right turn from Bishops Lane onto Westbury. Cllr L Bennett volunteered to look at the site in order to see if there is room for a mirror on any of the signs currently situated at the junction. Action: Cllr L Bennett
Cllr S Longdon asked if anyone was aware if there are leftover letters for the fingerposts. Cllr L Bennett will ask J Hayward. The Clerk will look at old receipts to see if DH ordered some at the beginning of the project a few years ago. Action: Cllr L Bennett/ Clerk
The Clerk will report the missing signs (no entry & no u-turn) at the bottom of Underdown on the A30 and the large number of cars parked along the verge of Underdown on the weekends. Action: Clerk
Cllr D Coffin noted the Old Compton Lane street sign is leaning. She kindly volunteered to look at it more closely and report if it needs attention. Action: Cllr D Coffin.
- To review the playing field inspection reports and future budget
It was resolve to discuss the budget at a separate meeting. The Clerk noted the annual inspection was completed, no report was received prior to the meeting.
It proving difficult to source a replacement cover for the litter bin at the Westbury entrance. It was resolved to leave it as is until the annual inspection report was received. The Clerk will inform the member of the public that brought it to her attention. Action: Clerk
- Financial Accounts
- To consider any grants or donations
The Clerk reported St Mary’s Week donated £700 toward the renewal of the defibrillators. Action: Clerk
- To consider November payments
£10,368.49 Current account balance reported from the previous meeting
£ 9,965.66 Less: October payments
£ 700.00 Receipt: St Mary's week donation toward the defibrillators
£ 2,500.00 Receipt: transfer from deposit account
£12,655.29 Deposit account balance reported from the previous meeting
£ .10 Receipt: October interest
£ 2,500.00 Less: transfer to current account
£13,758.22 Total in all accounts
£ 93.60 Phone box expenses
£ 155.80 K M Dike invoice 961 (October)
£ 220.00 Clerk's wage
£ 767.51 Clerk's expenses (includes DH bench)
£1,236.91 Proposed November payment approved
Cllr I Houston noted it would cost £115 for the 4 trees and suggested planting them in the playing fields along the Westbury border. He suggested another 4 or 5 trees could be planted at the bottom of Fannybrooks Lane. The £115 was approved. Action: Cllr I Houston
- To consider any grants or donations
- Correspondences received
- The Clerk received and forwarded an email (dated 6/11/20) updating the Parish Council with the issues concerning the empty property 3 Cross Road. The Clerk will forward to Cllr R Legg. Action: Clerk
- Cllr I Houston is interested in taking part in the Community Action sessions 19/11 and 25/11.
- Items for the Pennant
The Clerk was informed by the editor the November issue has gone to print. The Clerk is unsure if there will be a December issue. She is prepared to produce 3 issues beginning in January if the current editor is unwilling to move forward. It was agreed the Clerk will receive payment for the time producing the Pennant. Cllr L Bennett felt the Pennant should not be edited by the Parish Council long term.
- Items for the next Agenda
Budget. The Clerk will prepare a budget for the Ordinary January meeting but felt it needs a separate meeting the following week to provide time to consider and discuss it. All agreed a budget meeting for all Cllrs will take place 12/1/21.